Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spierre Fins Initial Thoughts - by Prodigal Son

By Prodigal Son

Spierre fins-Initial thoughts

My combined birthday/Father's Day gift was a pair of Spierre fins (kelp camo-Medium stiffness) to replace my old 20 Fathoms Matrix fins (#2 stiffness). I picked them up today from Erik Sun of Sumora. As usual, his service was great. He outfitted them with Picasso Black Team footpockets. The Spierre fins are about the same length as the Matrix fins, but are noticeably wider at the base (near the footpocket) and a little heavier. They also are angled blades. I just tried out the new fins in a pool. They're noticeably more powerful than my Matrix fins, and seemed more comfortable. Slow, gentle kicks propelled me underwater with less effort than before. The additional comfort may have been in part due to the footpocket since I was never comfortable with the Sporasubs on my Matrix fins. I can't determine yet whether the deeper angle on the fins makes a difference in surface swimming, but in the pool, it seemed like there was less strain on my ankles. My guess is that the Medium stiffness is the same as the Matrix #3 blades. I'm going halibut hunting this week (if the water conditions allow) to put these fins through their paces.

http://www.sumora.com/image.php?ID=1492

No comments: